Friday 28 February 2014

Family Meals

AGA flan


I am increasingly on the look out for easy meals that I can throw together quickly, simply and cheaply.

I am loving my Aga - it is so simple to cook on and fantastic for slow cooking. I can pop a casserole in early in the morning, knowing it will still be moist and tender when I return from work.

However, for those days when speed is of the essence I have a bank of meals that I rely on.

This flan is so versatile - you can make it with an egg and milk base and it is more like a quiche or use creme fraiche for a totally different taste to it. Both are simple and quick!! We call it an Aga flan , but you can cook it in anything!


Ingredients: 


Aga flan

Pre rolled puff pastry ( speed!)
Mozarella
Parmesan
Cheddar
Or any other cheese you wish to add to it!

3 - 4 eggs and a splash or two of milk OR a couple of pots of creme fraiche to make the base.

Any additions:

I have put rocket in this and some corriander paste ( this and chilli flakes - love them!) to add a bit of bite!


A lot is dependant on what you have in the larder.



  • Lay the pastry base in a shallow tray.
  • Chop the mozzarella into pieces and add any other ingredients to line the base - I added some peppery rocket.
  • Beat the eggs and milk in a separate bowl - I added 2 tsps of corriander paste to add a bit of bite.




  •  Grate over some cheddar and any other cheese you may wish to add.



  • Pour the milk and egg over the base. Instead of a milk and egg base you can just add a pot or two of creme fraiche. I just don't always have it in the fridge.



  • Season and grate some parmesan on the top.



  • Pop on the middle shelf of the roasting oven if you have an Aga. Temperature is about 200 degrees for about 20 - 25 minutes.


  •  She is done when the top has risen and is firm to the touch.



  • To keep things really simple serve with pasta and green veg 




I will post a few more of my quick and easy meals - they are becoming a bit of a necessity now I am teaching full time!



3 comments:

  1. That looks marvellous Claire - I've had a huge dinner and my mouth is watering looking at your pics! Great recipe - I'll be trying it out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious, one of the best things about aga cooking is never having to blind bake pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Gorgeous- I'm going to try that one!

    ReplyDelete